Thursday, March 1, 2012

Baby Andrew

   Sorry this blog is so detailed and long. I wanted to type this out mostly for the memory and wanted to type it out in as much detail as I could so I could get this printed out and every thing next time I am around a printer! I had already written it out in a little book that I had started writing in for my future baby even before I got prego with baby Andrew, but I want it typed out too.

   My son Andrew was born on Thursday, February 16th, 2012 at 4:20 PM (he's 2 weeks today, YAY!). On the 15th of Feb I had an appointment with my OB where my Dr checked to see if I was dilated at all. I was dilated 1.5 in and effaced 70 percent. So my doctor decided to help move things along by scraping, which I freaked out a little bit when she said she was going to. Well that day I hung out with my mom, we went and got Starbucks and then pedicures which I am not much of a fan of. My feet are the most ticklish spot on my body! Then we went out for some Subway. I was having some cramping in my back and thought it was normal because I had been having back pains off and on through out pregnancy any ways and it was getting worse from trying to get comfy while sleeping.

   So the next morning I woke up around 2 from some back pains and I kept trying to roll around and get comfortable which I couldn't, so I decided to get up and get on my computer for a while and eat a bowl of cereal because I was hungry. I didn't think any thing of it, because this happened usually at least once a week towards the end of my pregnancy. So I decided to stay up until 4:30 am, because that is what time my husband gets up for work when he is on day shift any ways and I always get up and make his lunch for work. I was having some some - what bad back pains and I was starting to wonder if they were contractions, but I didn't think they were because it didn't seem like my tummy was contracting and I read and was told that your tummy gets really tight during one and I didn't ever notice it getting tighter, plus it is some what hard to tell because my tummy isn't completely tight because I lost so much weight so quick before and had never completely toned it up so I am not sure if that contributed to that or not.

   ANY WAYS, So I told my husband that I THINK that I was having contractions. I started counting them and they were lasting about 29-32 seconds every 5 or 6 minutes by the time I started counting. I had a really hard time keeping track at first. So I called my mom and text my mother-in-law and my mom didn't answer so I text her. After a while the back pains were hurting quite a bit more so I called my mom again and she answered so I let her know what was going on. My husband decided on going to work because we weren't for sure that I was having contractions.

   Well after he left they REALLY started to ramp up and they started to come every 4 minutes lasting between 35- 45 seconds. My mother-in-law decided she would come over and while I waited I took a shower. She convinced my husband to come back home, when he was already about 40 minutes out, but she thought for sure that it was the real thing. So when she got here the pain was pretty bad and she said they wanted to take me to the hospital and I was like, Already!? I told her I wanted to wait for my husband to get home first, so we waited for him which he was only about 15 minutes away from home at that point, so it wasn't much of a wait at all. I called up my mom and let her know that we were heading to the hospital and I let my step mom and dad know as well.

   So on the way to the hospital alone, which is only 10-12 minutes away from our house, I had 5 contractions (one was in the parking lot). I answered a few questions at the front desk because my info hadn't gone through yet, because it was scheduled to on the 21st, because that is what I put my due date as since that was my original due date. After my husband parked his car and came in they took me and my mother-in-law up to the baby/ birthing area. So I go in to a little room and my mom just makes it and comes in. I was dilated at a 3 and 100 percent effaced. So she said that they needed me to walk around a little bit and try to at least get to a 4 before they take me back to the room I would give birth in. So my mom, mother-in-law, her boyfriend, my husband, and I all went walking around in the hospital and soon were joined by my grandmother-in-law (I call her Gramma) and my grandfather-in-law (Grampa) all the while I could barely stand the pain (I'm a total wimp). When some one would say some thing to me during a contraction or try to touch me, besides my husband, I would get really irritated.

   After 15- 20 minutes we went back to the area with the little room and she said we were just on time and so she checked me again and I was at a 4, so they brought me to the room where I would give birth. I decided that I wanted to get an epidural. I know a lot of people are against it, but I was hurting bad and I already knew I wanted one from the beginning and hey, this is my pregnancy, my body, and my choice. So they had a guy come in and I had a nurse and my mom with me. I was having a hard time getting over the pain and as I was sitting and waiting for the epidural I was really scared of how much it would hurt and if I would jump and hurt myself a bunch if I had a contraction while they were putting in the needle. The nurse was so amazing. As I was sitting there in pain and trying really hard to keep it together and hold still while the guy was doing my epidural, the nurse was holding me and she had her forehead against mine and trying to guide me through the pain. She made it so much easier for me and she was just amazing. I feel so lucky to have had some one like that helping me through that stage.

   The funny thing is that I had no idea that the guy was actually doing the epidural. He told me he was doing a shot which hurt a tiny bit and I thought he was just taking a long time on the shot, but after a while I felt some thing being pushed through my back which was slightly uncomfortable, but it wasn't bad at all. As soon as it was done I didn't even feel the contractions at all any more. I didn't even know I was having them, it was fabulous!

   So, now we just played the waiting game. I turned on the new Pirates, On Stranger Tides, and then when that was done I put on Tangled which we ended up putting those both on many many times through out our stay at the hospital. Unfortunately not much after I had gotten my epidural my nurse had to switch out with another and she was pretty nice too, though I was a little bummed that the other one wasn't going to be my nurse any more, because I kind of felt bonded to her after the way she helped me. So I kept getting checked and I was at a 5, but my water was bulging. The Dr said she would come in and pop it around 12:30 pm, well that came and went and the dr still didn't come and after a while they couldn't feel how dilated I was because of my water so bulged and in the way. Eventually it got to 4 pm and the dr I guess was literally coming up and my water broke on it's own. Which I was kinda glad that I was able to experience it naturally.

   The nurses had me start pushing before the Dr was even in, but not too long before. So the doctor came in and I was surprised I could feel a lot of what was going on at this point, but it wasn't that bad, just kind of weird and a little painful. I only pushed for about 20 minutes and he was born! They were all so surprised that for a first timer that it was so short. I am glad it was! It's funny because I had no idea that I was even close and then there comes plopping baby Andrew onto my chest! I had a 2 degree rip and man did I feel those stitches being put in, but it was SO worth it! We were the first to give birth there for that day!

   Also I just wanted to put down little funny stories that happened since he was born...

   While we were still in the hospital my nurse had brought me a cookie and a little bowl of strawberry sorbet. So I decided to eat it. My mother-in-law, Gramma, and Grampa were there and so were my aunt, and 2 of her daughters. My mother-in-law was helping my husband change my sons diaper and he started peeing. Well he was peeing on my husband and he moved out of the way and the fountain of pee went straight into my strawberry sorbet. Then the other day some one picked up Andrew and he threw his binki and it landed right into my drink. He's got some good aim!

   Also I had some fun ideas to do for him as he grows up. I want to put together slide shows with pictures through out that year with a story that talks about things that happened during that year of his life and then he can have all those to look back on as he grows up.

1 comment:

  1. He looks adorable! Those amazingly powerful eyes; there is something magical about a baby's gaze. Congratulations and a world of blessings for Andrew, you and your entire family.

    And in other news, not that I think you'll have a bunch of extra time for reading, but here it is anyway. I’ve just published a post where you can link the reviews to your witchy readings for January, February and March. Here it is the link: